No, really let's talk about texting. Texting annoys me sometimes.
For the most part, I completely understand its practicality. We text to make plans, contact each other and communicate quick bits of info. Texting is easy and useful and that's why society ingrained it into our daily interactions. Because it is the norm, I can't escape it.
[caption id="attachment_5970" align="aligncenter" width="454" caption="A recent text from my Dad: "My phone is so cool." Look at the smirk on his face. "]
[/caption]
[/caption]Let me tell you why texting is a nuisance to me:
1. Sometimes, text conversations could more easily be phone conversations. How many of you started texting messages so long that it would pop up as 3 different notifications on the recipient's phone? Smart people realize half-way through that their time would be better spent dialing the person, but by then you've already wasted time drafting it with your thumbs. Seriously, what could be a one minute conversation turns into a thumb war with your touch screen.
2. I'm impatient. When I want an answer, I usually want it right away. And then I have this inner conflict with myself because I fully understand that when I text someone, they have the right to not look at their phone at all times. I get mad at them for being inconsiderate, yet I can't take this feeling seriously... but there are people who do! However, that BBM indication that they've read it makes it awkward...
3. People over analyze texts. How many times has a friend showed you a vague text message and asked one of these questions: "what does this mean?," "are they mad at me?," "when should I text them back?" Words get misinterpreted all the time. We really need to hear the nuances in the tone of a person's voice and their physical expressions to really understand what they mean.
4. I miss looking up.
5. If I haven't even spoken to you in months, please don't ask me out via text.
What I'm really asking for is more real conversation. It's a voice I wanna hear and expressions I wanna read. If you have my number, you can call me.
P.S. Original Post found at http://bucultureshock.com/
No comments:
Post a Comment