Friday, December 25, 2009

Sparkle and Shine

Just so you know, AVATAR was an aqua, purple, blue, sparkly, glowing visually ammazing movie.

But right now, I'm in pennsylvania, on my uncle's black leather couch directly in front of his large, flat screen, surrounded by food and uncles, aunts and cousins still in their pajamas. My little 3 year old cousin Rona is standing next to me in her light pink night gown, patterned with brown monkeys with wide smiles. She's asking me, "Who made that Chrismas Twee?" to the left of me. The (fake) evergreen is embellished with wide, translucent ribbons that are sparkled with outlines of glittered holly amongst the gold, pearly ornaments. I took pictures of the tree last night when it was lit last night with my new digital camera. Yes, I finally have a camera, and I'm quite excited to explore all of its simple features. Last night, I played around with it's long exposure feature, and I was able to capture extra twinkle of the christmas tree lights. I'm easily amused. I'll upload the pictures later :D

Uncle Ryan's flat screen is displaying men's figure skating. The performer on the ice is a flamboyant, somewhat awkwardly ungraceful dude with gelled, shaggy brown hair, wearing a tight, black t-shirt with a red-bejewled Rolling Stone's tongue and black pleather pants, with red sparkles that capture the extra twinkle as he nails his triple toe loop flipity flips... I'm no figure skating expert, but his interpretation of "Start me Up" is reminding me a lot of Chazz Michael Michaels. Still, he was able to perform all his tricks without falling, and his awkward nature stands out amongst all the other graceful, glitzy, glittered guys.

Looking back at all the holidays I've spent, especially the more recent ones, I've noticed I've been jaded or disillusioned by the holidays. In years past, I hated the commercialized consumerism pushed upon us. I resented the snow and cold that dulled my senses. And as much as I hate to admit, I was ungrateful for the presents that showed that my family missed the mark. I missed when I was 3 years old, when I was purely excited that Santa gave me that shiny, colorful xylophone whose twinkly tones struck my tiny core. I missed the magic that the holidays never measured up to since when I was younger.

But somehow this year is different. I don't know how to explain it, but this year I'm hopeful. The snow and cold is here, but I love it. I love it because it sparkles. I love the shine that reminds me of more than it's cold nature. I love the warmth of a fireside glow with hot cocoa and peppermint, especially when I know there's cold, snow out there. I love how my furry trapper hat and shiny, puffy coat keep me warm. I love the excuse to wear sequins and silver and shine to offset the perceived dullness of winter and bare branches. I have no idea honestly what is spurring this on, but maybe it's the fact my mom got me exactly what I wanted this year. I'm joking. I've been feeling like this ever since the first slushy snow of the year, when I wrote about the tangerine sunset, creeping behind the snow-lined branches. Sometimes you just have to take a step back and appreciate that there's beauty in everything. When there's tears around the corner, eyes shine brighter. I realize that might miss the mark, but my point is - I've realized that things glow brighter in the dark.

HAPPY CHRISTMAS y'all!!!

Post-Edit:

No comments:

Post a Comment