When I was hanging out with Antonio and Erica a few nights ago, he put into words what I've always felt about good art but could never really describe: "good art stays with you". Art in the form of creative expression in different medias has been circulating in my mind especially since then. One of my 12 goals of Christmas is to read good literature (which BTW i managed to check out 1984 and i've started reading Noam's What We Says Goes which so far is extremely enlightening - i'll get back to that later...). I regard good fiction and even non-fiction as art in the level of mastery the author chooses the right words, diction, syntax etc. to perfectly, poignantly convey their mood - their message. It's hard to write, but when it's right - it's beautiful.
However, I'm starting to appreciate, or realize my appreciation of visual art. I think naturally, images stick with me, and If you know me well enough - you know the world around me shuts off when I'm watching, concentrating on the latest tv show/ film (Gossip Girl!). I think I'm a visual learner, and I would love to take an art history course, but I'm sure it won't fit into my future schedules. But I love that BU gives us free admission to the MFA at anytime, and Mimi and I took advantage of that yesterday in our day trip to the Museum.
Mimi + Dance at Bougival
This is one of my favorite paintings. I especially remember it because of that one Gilmore Girls episode where Lorelai had to pose as the girl in the red hat. But it's not just that - I love impressionism. I love that it inspired an innovative abstractness - that i'm sure's responsible for inspiring all this unconventional art we see in modern day. I've liked it ever since that 3rd grade project where I had to pose as Mary Cassatt. I love that strokes and colors can convey so much in one image. When I look at this painting, I see an elusive cheerful innocence in the lightness of the girl and something mysterious/foreboding about the darkness of the dude. So many more words can describe it - and it's hard for me to pin it.
2010 Resolution #1: LOVE art.
"The work of art must seize upon you, wrap you up in itself and carry you away. It is the means by which the artist conveys his passion. It is the current which he puts forth, which sweeps you along in his passion" - Renoir.
check out this art festival, its the Venice Biennale that takes place every two years or so.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2009/07/the_2009_venice_biennale.html